Sunday, September 14, 2008

amy - iconoclast or iconophile

I suppose when you hold certain ideas so deeply within your heart, you tend to examine all information given about these topics with a critical fervor that may seem excessive. Art and 'religion' are both topics which I hold deeply within the core of my being, so if my writing seems a bit excessive at times it is a break-down in my attempts to taper this fervor.

After a class period dealing with iconography, watching the Faces of Jesus film really sharpened the pragmatic side of my faith. I love art and I have never made a large distinction between "religious art" and "otherart." Both contain themes that the artist is trying to convey, whether it be Jesus' suffering or humanity, or simply the artist trying to convey his own silent suffering.

I watched the film and was saddened to see the art I love turned into an item of worship, or propagandizing for a certain medieval nobleman walking hand in hand with Jesus to show the nobleman's righteousness. The point of art that depicts the Bible- I dislike the phrase "religious art-" is for a better relation and depth of understanding with Christ. Worst yet, turning this art into a type of idol for worship simply degrades the art itself and mocks the original Creator and Artist.

These thoughts were present when the narrators of the movie started speaking on the iconoclasts who destroyed the art because they believed that any image of Christ was wrong. I do not believe these overly zealous priests and religious leaders were that black and white. Perhaps I am wrong and they were just fools who hated art and anything aesthetically depicting the spiritual, but I would like to believe that there were at least some really trying to do the right thing, though in the wrong manner.
In my own faith, I find my beliefs offended by a strain of Christianity that has anything other than Jesus as its axis mundi. Icons may be a good reminder or an effective way to be drawn to Christ, but they should never serve as more than symbols for the salvation that is Jesus. Only Jesus.
Just because a piece of art is made in a certain way does not give it some kind of mystical power. When has art, true art, ever succombed to formulaic mass production? And why on earth would that give more "power" to a piece of art?

I can understand the offense of the iconoclasts. Worshipping these little statues or emblems successfully profanes both art and religion in one foul sweep: Art, through the lack of artistry and originality, and religion through the disrespect of the call to singularly worship that which deserves our adoration.

No comments: