Thursday, September 18, 2008

Jesus In Art

Jenna Wynn


There are so many things I feel that I could say about the film we watched during class. It was captivating to see the progression of Jesus in art throughout history. Every piece of artwork showed the artist's own interpretation of the face of Christ. Some of the paintings were beautiful, but did not capture my emotions completely. Then there were others that had my full attention, and had me feeling as if the artist wanted to fully comprehend the pain that Jesus went through in his sacrifice. Those were the paintings that caused me to sit in deep thought about my beliefs and my own faith. This is where the argument between iconoclasts and iconophile can begin. Some believe that these artist's interpretation are incorrect, are unholy and should not be shown. Others believe that these paintings allow people to become closer to Jesus, to understand his sacrifice and to bring them closer to the holy. It is hard to say whether I am an iconoclast or an iconophile because each side, in my opinion, gives a valid point. Should we have artists depict their own version of Jesus? Is artwork truly the way to be closer to God?

It can be difficult to wrap one's head around the arguments that can follow religious art. On one hand, I can understand why people would not want art to depict Jesus. In my opinion, almost every single face of Jesus looked the same. White male, long brownish-blond hair, beard, piercing eyes. How can someone have their own personal relationship with Jesus, if in every painting he's the same? Art shouldn't dictate how someone thinks about Jesus...everyone should be able to have their own relationship with Jesus whether he has blond hair, black hair etc...

Another argument though, is that art can bring people closer to their faith and Jesus. I personally think that this is true. We as human beings have a natural longing to grasp something a bit more concrete, something we can conceptualize. Some of the paintings remind us of Jesus's sacrifice and the pain he must have felt. Just reading it in the text might not do it justice. Seeing the expression on his face, the wounds on his hands and face...those are the things that gave me the strongest impression.

I think it all comes down to the person. That is why religious art is so controversial, is because people usually take it as one extreme or the other. They over-analyze what the artist is trying to depict, then either get angry, or get inspired. I'm sure artists do want people to contemplate certain aspects when they view their work, but I'm sure they also want people to enjoy it just for the sake of enjoying it. If people wish to see it as a way to understand their own faith more completely, than that is what they will get out of it. I think religious art should be both contemplated and enjoyed, just because it is that...art.

No comments: