Friday, December 4, 2009

kelsey - my favorite class ever

The drum circle we participated in a couple weeks ago was my favorite class of almost all of school. I really like how there was a direct intent to lose your own thoughts and concerns and to feel the music and the beats and participate with it as well as the other people who were interacting in the event. Much like dance, music has a very surreal power that just seems to go past your head and thoughts and interact with your soul. I think that van der Leeuw was right to put music as the interaction with the spirit of God because it less of a depiction and lesson and more of a feeling and bond. Although I thought it was interesting that dance was considered more of a drama in his book. While that makes sense in that much like drama dance acts out patters and events and ideas from life and conveys them in an abstract manner, I still feel that unlike drama, and more like music...maybe because it involves music, dance also had the property of being able to lack structure and be a free flowing movement.

No comments: