Monday, December 8, 2008

Amanda: Holy Sounio

One of my favorite memories of this trip so far has been our day at the temple of Poseidon in Greece. Once we reached the top of the platform where the temple stood, the first thought that popped into my head was once again, that Greeks were very smart people. I could not have imagined a more perfect place in my mind to erect a temple to the god of the sea, and even as I stared out the window at the coast on the way there I saw no location even close to this particular one. It amazes me how much the location of a place of worship can allow for so much communication from the Holy.

Standing on the edge of the cliff made me feel the exact power, energy and fear of God Otto had described in his text. After this time of reflection we had by the temple, it was truly a religious experience when many of us swam out to the cave just under the temple and further entered into the elements. The symbolism behind the crashing waves, the cool sensation of the water and the feeling of weightlessness that swimming in the ocean provides perfectly displayed the passion of religion and faith. In this moment, “the deepest and most fundamental element in all strong and sincerely felt religious emotions” that Otto describes was truly and intensely felt.

No comments: