Wednesday, December 17, 2008

amy- The Golem

I can safely say that The Golem by Meynrink is one of the best books I have ever read. Many times, books about self-discovery all look the same. The tests we take to “learn” about ourselves are ridiculous. We want to put label on ourselves. Throughout this semester we have heard a lot about the spiritual journey in Dr. Redick’s class. For me, there are many things that relate to my own spiritual journey. The literary art has always affected my own spiritual journey. When I read a book like The Golem, I am able to see it through the lens of spirituality and self-discovery. This is why the book holds more weight than others. When a writer is able to give the reader a picture of himself, but also an understanding of himself in the whole of life, he has achieved something great.
The Golem sometimes turned me upside down with its dream-like images, but I can appreciate this. Life often seems like a dream to me. I believe Meynrink does this on purpose. The protagonist is trying to find his way to sanity. Is this not what the spiritual journey about? Are we not trying to find a way to understand the world? Meynrink also combines the rational with the irrational. To me, this is the basis of life. Life is not composed of solely rationality or irrationality: it is a combination. Meynrink, as a good writer, explicates the mystic to the fullest extent so that his meaning cannot be misconstrued. He does not want the reader to be able to write off the supernatural that the protagonist experiences. The book was perfect for the mystic nature of Prague, and for the tumult of feelings that I was experiencing. I will always be able to look back on that book with the fondness of a friend who understands.

No comments: