Friday, December 5, 2008

amy: the joke

I hate the “Church of Baby Jesus.” I really, truly do. Perhaps I am just too serious, I do not know. I find the entire expression of the church to be a huge mockery. There is no doubt in my mind the infant Jesus as the focus fits the style of Rococo perfectly. I just cannot find myself to laugh at such a display. Once again, I feel annoyed at the artists who do not take their art seriously and at the ridiculous nature of a church that is ornately dripping in gold. Of course, this is merely my opinion and my viewpoint from my own individual faith. All of my being is completely relying upon Christ and His saving grace, so I cannot take that lightly. I cannot bridge the gap between the frivolous nature of Rococo and the arrival of the Christ coming to save me. In my mind, there is nothing humorous about it. There are not enough adjectives to describe what it means to me, but funny or ridiculous would never come to mind. Like I said before, maybe I’m just an old soul who is too uptight, but I find myself utterly insulted by the whole display. But that is the great thing about art: some people might just see it commentary on the nature of organized religion and laugh. There are many different viewpoints on art, and therein lies the wonderful interesting aspect of artistry. I am just serious about what I love.

No comments: