Wednesday, December 17, 2008

amy- The Magic Flute

Mozart’s place in history astounds me. I am continually blown away by his genius and, even more, his audacity. He blatantly mocks the culture high society prides itself on. This being said, I was surprised at the skill Mozart put into his mockeries. “The Magic Flute” is just one example of Mozart’s hilarity and genius. Brookelynn, Elise, Justin and I went to “The Magic Flute” expecting one thing and left experiencing another. I suppose the title should have clued us in about Mozart’s intention. No doubt, the music is incredible. The storyline is fluff wrapped in ridiculousness. I am almost positive Mozart must have stepped on the toes of the most influential people in Europe during his day. Mozart took every epic storyline and turned it on its head in “The Magic Flute.” And he did it with flair. I enjoy knowing that Mozart still held some sort of connection to the church institution in Prague, though his life is not exactly an example of Christian piety. To me, it shows a certain level of hidden profundity not shown to his critics and fans. The monks at Strahov Monastery understood his love of music, which was ultimately Mozart. For me, this is the plea of the artist. The artist wishes to be understood by the church, but all too often the church is unwilling to hear his pleas. Mozart shows this clearly. Religion must always be willing to understand differences that do not conflict with its clear doctrines. Just because one cannot understand something does not make it wrong.

No comments: