Friday, December 5, 2008

Mucha

Garrett Lambur
When we first went to the Mucha museum I had no idea what to expect. I had never heard of Mucha or his art before. In fact I had never heard of the Art Nouveau style before though upon learning what it was I realized I had seen examples before. Upon first seeing Mucha’s art I was not sure exactly how I viewed it. It struck me as very flowing and colorful but somewhat strange. The more I looked at it, the more it began to grow on me. By the time we left the museum I was in love with Mucha’s work. It seemed to me, as if you could almost understand the artist himself by the works in front of you. Each of them was very personal and struck me personally.

The colors he used all merged with one another to almost never leave the eye just focusing upon one section of the painting. As you stood before them it became harder and harder to look away as you kept noticing another new subtlety. There was flow to his paintings. Each part seems to flow to the next with very few harsh edges within the paper. The color of each part matches up with the color next to it and easily merges together to the eye. The colors themselves are light and airy. The majority of his paintings are of women and all of them are definitions of beauty. The emotions are soft but still readable. As I look upon the paintings a feeling of relaxation seems to come to me. I am not very good at describing art as I continually lack the ability to find the right word to describe the emotions the painting instills in me. However, every time I look at one of Mucha’s art I am struck by the same feelings, one of admiring beauty, a slowing down sensation as I let my eyes flow over the art and one of relaxation. Mucha to me was able to completely encompass the idea of beauty within his artwork.

No comments: