Friday, December 5, 2008

The Magic Flute

The Magic Flute was so bizarre. Everything about it was strange… the plot, the costumes, the lyrics, the messages. I honestly felt like it could have been one of those round-about stories, where everyone adds a different part taking the story in new, silly directions. I smile when I imagine what I would really say about it if it hadn't been written by Mozart.

The costumes especially made me laugh. I thought the bird-man Papageno was a little strange, but every story is allowed a strangely dressed character. Once they entered the kingdom of Sarastro, however, things got really quirky. The first people we encountered were the slaves, who looked like old Mayan clowns. Seriously. Next came the head slave dressed as a Medusa-inspired jester, followed by some spirits (?) dressed as Egyptian gods. The main enlightened men wore robes and colonial style wigs, and the head priests reminded me of the people from Superman’s homeland. Oh yes.

On a more serious note, the message of the opera was very interesting. Definitely many enlightenment themes, but I thought the trust required in the sovereign Sarastro was very Christian. I believe in a completely sovereign God, and often find peace in trusting that although something doesn’t seem right, there is a plan for it. This theme was very prevalent in The Magic Flute. Sarastro stole Pamina away from her mother, allowing them to both believe he is evil, while doing it all so that one day she might meet the man she was destined for. I thought it was really interesting that Tamino was led to believe Sarastro to be a horrible monster, which was far from the truth. It reminded me of what people can believe about God. Some people really question Him because of sufferings, not allowing the possibility that good will come of it. (Like Tamino hated him because he stole away Pamina, although without that act Tamino would never have met her…) Once Tamino realized his wisdom, he followed his instructions absolutely, and although it was difficult at times (ignoring Pamina’s cries) it was necessary for the reward at the end, which came from the god Isis of all things. Bizarre.

eks

No comments: