Wednesday, December 17, 2008

amy- Plastic Holiday

An odd reality is what modern-day Christmastime offers. There is no simplicity in the season. No longer is it about family and a display of care, but it has become one of the largest celebrations for the secular and faith-oriented world. I find this to be an odd reality. As I go around and see the tacky art and decorations that are displayed around Prague, even if some are beautiful, I still wonder. I wonder how the meaning of Christmas could be so lost amidst the season. I wonder what Christmas means if it no longer means a celebration of Christ. It almost makes me laugh. My cynical side would say society is celebrating its own wealth and materialism. My softer side would say that society is celebrating the love we share among family and friends. I tend to lean on the cynical side, because I feel that we should keep this marvelous holiday in our hearts instead of trying to take advantage of it like some sort of greedy child. If we are not teaching our children the deeper meaning behind life, what are we teaching them? And yet, as much as it is becoming trendy to criticize Christmas, the very same people who acknowledge its triteness literally buy into the idea of materialism. We may acknowledge something without caring to change our own outlook. I feel it is especially hard within our society because it is so inoculated into our children. I just hope that one family at a time we can change the perspective on Christmas, so that the greater meaning will not be lost among the tinsel and drunken caroling.

No comments: