Wednesday, December 17, 2008

amy- Prague Castle

Though I know Garrett’s presentation is not what he originally planned, I am glad that we had a chance to tour Prague Castle. One is unable to get the true “genus lochi” of a place without exploring its interior. Interestingly enough, it seems that every castle has at least two or three places of worship. Even though there is a large cathedral in Prague Castle, the interior holds its own little chapel. Karlstejn had the same type of chapel, despite its own cathedral which once held the most gorgeous jewels and precious materials. I always think of the romanticism that comes with having a cathedral within the walls of a castle. My mind creates fantastical stories around beautiful pious princesses and chivalrous knights. My rational side is also fascinated with these places of worship. I think these mini-sanctuaries are some of my favorite features within the castle walls. To me, it stresses the importance of an individual relationship with God. This is the most important part of religion, at least for Christianity. I remember looking for a garden or some type of sanctuary at CNU and being unable to find a place where I could easily go there to have a moment of peace. I always wish to adopt the constructive aspects of history. To me, these sanctuaries are something that the architecture of today should adopt from the medieval time period.

No comments: