Sunday, December 7, 2008

Russian Occupation Exhibit

One of the highlights of my time in Prague remains the temporary photography exhibit on 21 August 1968 I visited during our first week here. Amanda and I saw an advertisement for it one day and decided to go rather on a whim, having no idea what we were getting in to.

The occupation photos were incredible. Not only did they do a fantastic job documenting the period, but also the photos themselves were composed so well. I feel like I learned so much, and the photos were very moving. The ones that stick out in my mind are of a tank crashing into a building on the main street with people running to get out of the way. Another one of a man baring his chest in front of a tank. Another of a memorial to an unknown boy who was killed in the struggle. Who was he? There were photos of countless signs the people made, letting the Russians know how they felt, often with humor. I wondered what the point of the signs was, however. Did they make a difference to the Russians, or were they more to boost the moral of the people?

The photos did an amazing job of expressing the horror of the occupation, and I feel like they presented the truth of that time. I can never think of the Russian occupation the same, without feeling the terror of the people. It’s not longer just a history lesson for me. My understanding of that dreadful day and the ensuing period has been forever changed by that exhibition, and I think that’s a great sign of true art.

eks

No comments: