Wednesday, December 17, 2008

amy- Satisfy My Soul

After going to Tricia’s concert at the church in Old Town Square, I love to put myself in the place of the musicians. This is their time. I cannot imagine the joyous feeling they must have as they do what they love. The opera singer really struck me the most. The viewer could see her face light up with joy as she sang her carefully calculated notes to echo in harmony against the church ceiling. I think in some ways pursuing one’s true love in art can be more difficult than a normal job. This, I suppose, is the typical plight of the artist: hence “starving artist.” I think the reward of being completely united in one’s art as quite nearly a spiritual act must be one of the best feelings in the world. I think that art is inherently spiritual. It can be distorted and misused, but in its purest form it is spiritual. To me, the suffering associated with faith can be associated in the same way to the suffering an artist faces. It is not the strongest parallel, but both the faith-oriented people and artists give up all they have for what they love. There should not be this intense separation between the church and the artist. They can be compared to the fullest extent. Watching the musicians play their music, knowing they do it day in and day out, and hearing the symphonies they create gives me a sense of satisfaction.

No comments: