Thursday, December 4, 2008

Musee de l'Orangerie - AHB


Monet's massive waterlilies should be required viewing for anyone that does not understand or appreciate Impressionist art. The experience might not change someone's mind, but I would be surprised if their is a better representation of the movement anywhere in the world. Plus it just makes sense to have an impressionist painting that is the size of an IMAX screen, I mean, it makes a hell of an impression.

There is a great deal more variety in Monet's series than I expected to find. My favorite is the sunset piece (pictured above), which I don't remember ever seeing before. It is amazing to sit before a beautiful piece of art and just let it wash over you. The emotional content of Monet's paintings is really strong for me, although I had a hard time placing a finger on the exact emotion that I was feeling. One things I did recognize was the peace of being home. There is a familiarity and comfort to the lilies and the weeping willow trees. But unlike a John Constable painting, Monet's depiction of home still carries this edge of mystery/suspense.

This semester has been a period of growth for me in both my understanding and appreciation (that's really a terrible word) of art. All these images speak profound things to me about the potentiality and purpose of mankind. I feel ridiculously now when I spend my time looking are watching images/art that have no kind of inner movement/soul.

No comments: