Thursday, December 4, 2008

Final Post on Art - AHB

It is difficult to summarize my experiences in art, and the changes that have taken place as I've allowed art to affect me. I'm really grateful that we've been able to experience so many different forms of art (painting, sculpture, photography, architecture, music, dance, etc.) over the last couple months. It was also really helpful to have the combination-approach espoused by Kip and Henry. Both really emphasize important aspects of art, and I think their different approaches are mutually reinforcing.

No matter what developments occur within technology and science I hope that mankind always maintains that sense of mystery that allows for the creation of beautiful art. Depictions of Jesus aren't my favorite, but I think they speak to some of the same feelings that representations of Greek and Roman mythology bring forth. I don't totally understand how a piece of art becomes "presentative" rather than "representative", but a part of that definitely comes from the viewer and his or her feelings and thoughts. I've grown a lot in these areas as far as art is concerned, and it creates a wonderful positive cycle when enjoyment of art increases enjoyment of art. There is so much about life that we cannot fully understand through the intellect and reason, and I'm constantly learning that art can be an amazing second perspective (or first) that leads to understanding that can not always be put into words.

I'll take away from this semester the understanding that art and religion don't have to be connected in an obvious way in order to be related. For me it is still easier to use the idea of "spirituality" as a counterpoint to the mind/temporal/physical, and all of the pieces of art that I've talked about in this blog have impacted me spiritually on some kind of level.

No comments: